Friday, October 17, 2008

Wide Angle..

A wide angle lens is a lens whose the focal length is substantially shorter than the focal length of the normal lens, which produce the similar image size for the camera.  Typically, a lens with focal length of 35mm or less is consider wide angle. Most of the compact digital camera came with a 35mm lense.
But due to some circumstances, the 35mm normal compact camera is not wide angle enough to capture image that I want. Most of the time when I need to capture all the family member photo, I need to step backward, which not a problem if you have large house... what if you have limited space. And in my line of work, I need to snap photo of all the equipment inside the equipment room or shelter, which is normally not large.
Wide angle is the solution for me right now... 35mm is not enough.. probably I need 28mm or less... so the area captured became larger. And I don't like to step backward when taking photo..... you never know you will trip on anything, cause your eyes are in front.

perhaps the link below will give better explanation...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maybe this link will help to illustrate what is focal length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Focal-length.svg

I have to scan my brain a long way to 1986 but I fail to recall what is focal length.

Nevertheless, everything is available in the internet.

So the lower the focal length the wider the angle. (And by the way the more expensive the camera).